|Place:||Aegis VII Colony|
|Previous Chapter:||Alternate Solutions|
|Objective:|| Return the Marker
|Dead Space Wiki has a walkthrough guide to this level, Chapter 12: Dead Space. See Chapter 12: Dead Space/Walkthrough.|
Isaac travels together with Nicole to the surface of Aegis VII and returns the Marker back to it's pedestal in an attempt to end the Necromorph threat once and for all. As Isaac takes the Red Marker off the shuttle and proceeds to return it to the pedestal which it was removed, he meets the former colonists of Aegis VII and they will not make his duty any easier.
Chapter 12 takes place in the illegal CEC mining colony on Aegis VII. Isaac Clarke and his girlfriend, Nicole Brennan took an Executive Shuttle that Isaac previously repaired in Chapter 10: End of Days containing The Marker to the colony in order to contain The Hive Mind - the telepathic commander of all Necromorphs. Isaac as he was instructed by Nicole used his Kinesis Module to slot the loader into position and unloads The Marker. Isaac slid The Marker along a set of tracks on the Landing Pad while traveling along a parallel walk way, but is stopped because the door to Operations A is missing a power cell. Isaac finds a replacement in the Gravity Tether Computer Room, but was ambushed by the Infectors and a Divider when he attempts to insert it into the relevant socket. Nicole tells him that The Marker creates a 'dead space' field that suppresses any nearby Necromorphs and the scientists created a podium that amplifies the effect radius years ago. The Hive Mind can be suppressed if The Marker is placed on this podium. Isaac activates a monitor that raises a shutter that was blocking The Marker tracks and brings it into Gravity Tether Operations A. A quarantine activates and Isaac battled the Necromorphs while raising some bridges that are blocking the tracks. After the quarantine lifts, Isaac raises another shutter and brings The Marker into the Gravity Tether Core. Nicole tells him to restore the power to the bridges by using a Control Station at the back of a Maintenance Tube. The Tube is protected by a pair of Guardians and had no gravity. Isaac kills some Enhanced Leapers and Lurkers before restoring the power to the bridges by using Kinesis. However, this also restored the power to the Tube's fans which Isaac had to hit with Stasis before passing.
When Isaac returned to the Gravity Tether Core, an Enhanced Brute attacks him, but that doesn't stop him from raising the bridges and dragging The Marker to Tether Operations B and into The Excavation Site. He arrives just in time to catch a glimpse of the colossal tentacles of The Hive Mind before several Drag Tentacles attack. They are followed swiftly by the Twitchers and Enhanced Lurkers and Slashers which he kills and pulls The Marker along a narrow causeway. When Isaac finally loads The Marker onto it's pedastal, it emits an unusual glow and Nicole emerges from behind it. She says that they are 'whole again' and mysteriously vanishes as The Marker releases a bright flash. This flash disabled the gravity tethers that are holding a huge continent sized piece of the planet in place, but when Isaac tries to return to the shuttle, he is locked in a chamber by Kendra.
Kendra exited her escape pod that she launched in Chapter 11 and removes The Marker right before Isaac's eyes. She reveals that Isaac is insane and to prove it, she shows him the video log that Isaac watched at the beginning of the game. Only this time, it played right to the end. At the end of the video, Nicole commits suicide and Isaac realized that every time that he saw her on the Ishimura, it was only an apparation of The Marker. The truth was that The Marker tried to convince him to return it to the podium. The Marker appeared to have a subconscious mind of it's own. Kendra leaves with the Marker and the exit door finally unlocked. Isaac takes this door through a corridor, through the Gravity Tether Computer Room and into The Landing Pad just in time to intercept Kendra. The tremors caused by the falling debris causes Isaac to fall over and, just as it looks like Kendra will escape on the shuttle, a tentacle of The Hive Mind squashes her and slams her against a wall which kills her as a flatlining RIG is heard.
Since Kendra removed the Marker from it's podium, Isaac is forced to kill the monster with his weapons rather than suppressing it. Isaac shoots the five yellow lumps around it's 'mouth' as it tries to devour him and shoots the five in it's 'chest'. While this happens, Isaac also had to kill the Pregnants while avoiding the volatile projectiles that The Hive Mind launches at him. After a strenuous battle, The Hive Mind collapses and it's tentacle retracts allowing Isaac to enter the shuttle. Isaac leaves The Marker behind and escapes just in time to see the debris crash into the planet.
Some time passed after this. Isaac removes his helmet and reminisced as his shuttle drifts through space. He begins to watch Nicole's tape, but could not bear to watch it. He switched all of the monitors off, but he sees something in his peripheral vision. As he looks to his right, Nicole attacks him. The screen cuts to white and the credits rolled.
- Enhanced Slashers.
- Enhanced Leapers.
- Enhanced Brute.
- Lurkers/Enhanced Lurkers.
- The Hive Mind.
- This was the only chapter that you played on Aegis VII.
- When Isaac found out that Nicole was dead, he could be seen putting his head in his hands which was one of the few times that he showed an emotional response to what he saw in the game.
- There was an error made in the cutscene where Isaac got up and was surrounded by one of the Hive Mind's tentacles. If Isaac had a different gun equipped other than the Plasma Cutter, his hands would be positioned as if he was holding the Plasma Cutter. This occurred even if Isaac went into the battle unarmed. (Possible by depositing all weapons in the Safe prior to the fight.)
- If you are not careful, when you killed the Hive Mind, it would fall over and if you are close enough, it would smash you, forcing you to redo the entire battle.
- Isaac's face could be seen for the second and final time in the game.
- The game ended with Isaac removing his helmet which mirrored how the game started with Isaac putting it on and watching his video recording of Nicole, but he turned it off and started looking to the right where he saw the apparition of Nicole who attacked him which mirrored the same scene in Dead Space: Downfall which Jennifer Barrow attacked her husband.
- You would be awarded 50K Credits, 10 Power Nodes, Level 6 Suit (Advanced Soldier RIG) and you would unlock Impossible Mode.
- Completing this chapter on any difficulty earned the "Exodus" Achievement/Trophy.