|Previous Chapter:||New Arrivals|
|Next Chapter:||Course Correction|
|Objective:|| Retrieve the Captain's RIG
|Dead Space Wiki has a walkthrough guide to this level, Chapter 2: Intensive Care. See Chapter 2: Intensive Care/Walkthrough.|
|“||This is Senior Medical Officer Nicole Brennan, transmitting ship wide. We need more help! We don't have the resources to deal with this many cases. Nobody will tell us what's happening! These wounds...we're not equipped to deal with this many... God... Get him to the table! Hold him! Nurse, you hold him down! Christ! End recording!||”|
Intensive Care was a chapter where Isaac Clarke was led throughout the USG Ishimura's Medical Deck. The objective was to locate Captain Mathius' RIG to get the codes revealing what happened to the USG Ishimura before and after the Planet Crack. The codes are also requested by Hammond so they could gain access to the parts of the ship that only the Captain or the high ranking officers could enter. The ship's Morgue was barricaded potentially by the survivors to keep the infection from reaching the dead. Hammond informed Isaac that he must travel to the Clinic and Zero-G Therapy to get thermite and a shock pad to build a makeshift bomb to destroy the barricade. On the way to get the shock pad and thermite, Isaac faced two new enemies which are the Lurker and the Enhanced Slasher which was made from the corpse of the Ishimura's Captain Benjamin Mathius. The bat-shaped Infector also made it's first appearance here. Isaac also came across a recording left by Nicole that told about the state of the Clinic during the infestation which was being overrun with the wounded and dying from the Necromorph outbreak. Once finished, Hammond informed Isaac that the Ishimura's engines was out of fuel and would soon enter a decaying orbit toward the planet so Isaac headed off to the Engineering Deck to see what he could do.
On this deck, Isaac also gained the Kinesis Module. He was given to it by an insane survivor who talked about having foreseen Isaac's arrival and kept the Kinesis Module for him to take. She died shortly after giving it to Isaac though.
Isaac exited the tram and entered the tram station where he immediately discovered a blindfolded woman sitting beside a corpse that she referred to as McCoy. She claimed to have foreseen Isaac's arrival (Despite having no idea who he was) and passed him the Kinesis Module before dying. Isaac used the Kinesis Module to remove a small barricade blocking his path. On his way to the Morgue, Isaac picked his first Schematic up and was contacted by Hammond for the first time since he witnessed the Leapers chasing Hammond and Kendra away.
Hammond told Isaac that he lost Kendra and the medical crew barricaded the door to the Emergency Wing that Isaac needed to pass through in order to reach the Morgue. He told Isaac that he could use the thermite from Medical Storage and a shock pad from Zero-G Therapy to create a bomb to destroy the barricade. Isaac passed through the Research Wing on his way to get the thermite and a quarantine was activated that trapped him in the Main Lab. Isaac battled the variants of Slashers which had armored legs on both stories of the Main Lab and lifted the quarantine. On the lower level, Isaac found a video log of the Captain discussing about something called the Marker with Dr. Terrence Kyne and also an audio log of Dr. Challus Mercer expressing his scientific fascination with the Necromorphs. The door to the room that was containing the thermite was unaccessable through the Main Lab so Isaac took the long way around which led him to the Biological Prosthetics Center where he witnessed a man being killed by a Lurker. Isaac killed several Lurkers and retrieved the thermite. The door was unlocked so he could return through the Main Lab and back to the barricade.
He passed through the Imaging Diagnostics Wing where he witnessed a man killing himself by smashing his head against a wall. He entered a room and used Kinesis to move a cylindrical capsule containing a corpse to the other side of the room and inserted a power box into the wall via Kinesis in order to power a cargo lift up. He took the cargo lift up a level and used the top of the capsule to cross the two gaps. This allowed him to enter Zero-G Therapy. He passed through a vacuum and interacted with a monitor that disabled the gravity of the room that Isaac was in. He traveled to the other side of the room and inserted another power box which gained him access to the room containing the shock pad which he acquired. While returning to the barricade, Isaac had both his first Zero-G encounter with the Leapers and his first vacuum encounter with the Slashers. He also came across a small form of Necromorph called the Swarmer which traveled in large numbers. Isaac returned to the barricade and destroyed it with the newly constructed bomb. He immediately found a recording made by his missing girlfriend, Nicole, suggesting that she was or at least was at some point in the Medical Facility when the outbreak started.
After passing through the Clinic, through the Emergency Room, through an IR Hallway which required a power box insertion to enter and into the Intensive Care room, Isaac witnessed a woman killing a man with a blade before slitting her own throat. In both this room and the Morgue are logs made by Dr. Kyne discussing about the Marker and how it may be responsible for the outbreak once again. A large soundwave traveled through the corridor leading to the Morgue causing damage to the walls as Isaac passed through. Once Isaac took an elevator down to the Morgue, an Infector transformed the Captain's body into an Enhanced Slasher and he was forced to kill them both and retrieved the Captain's RIG. Isaac sent the access codes to Hammond who told him to head back to the tram while he checked the ship's records.
On his way to the tram, Isaac was contacted by Hammond once again who told him that he was forced to trap a Necromorph in a damaged escape pod because it entered the Captain's Nest. He lifted the executive lockdown and discovered that the outbreak started on the surface of Aegis VII before spreading to the ship. He also discovered that the ship's engines are offline and it's orbit was decaying. He told Isaac to take the tram to the Engineering Deck to fix the new problems and the Chapter ended when Isaac entered the tram.
In order of appearance:
- The Blind Woman that was encountered in the Medical Deck Tram Station referred to her fallen companion as "McCoy". As this encounter occurred on the Medical Deck, it was possible that "McCoy" was a reference that was paying homage to Leonard "Bones" McCoy of Star Trek.
- With the appearance of the Kinesis Module, expect unapproachable secret stashes to start appearing. The first one (Random Credits) was in the Imaging Diagnostics Room at the bottom of the Kinesis powered walkway channel outside the Zero-G Therapy door. Another and missable one floated by the hull breach was in the Zero-G area. Dismiss the air meter information prompt upon entry and move quickly. At the first half of the breach was a Line Gun clip. Run through the door/room to the opposite half of the breach and Kinesis grab the 10k Credit. You must be fast for this one!
- The Flamethrower Schematic was found in this level in the hallway next to the Tram Station. This was the first Schematic found in the game.
- The Pulse Rounds Schematic was found in the room where the crew member was suffocating in the yellow bile.
- In the baby room, there was a slight glitch where a baby in one of the containment pods had it's foot and part of it's leg clipping through the tank.
- The barricade that Isaac encountered was the same one that Gabe and Nathan left Nicole at in Dead Space: Extraction along with a team of security officers.
- The first Power Node activated room was the place of Nicole's suicide.
- Isaac may have killed a person here as there was a corpse. Later on in Chapter 5 where he killed a Necromorph in Chapter 2, this may have been caused by his dementia.
- Completing this chapter on any difficulty earned the "Lab Rat" Achievement/Trophy.
- If you listen closely when in the Biological Prosthetics Center, you could hear the sound of babies laughing along with the sound of a xylophone playing a childish tune.
- The Line Racks Schematic was found in the Power Node room of the Emergency Wing.