History's Ember is the fourth chapter of Dead Space 3.
After finally finding Ellie and her team, Austin Buckell and Jennifer Santos holed up in the command saucer of the Roanoke, it is revealed that Norton has been dating Ellie since Ellie and Isaac broke up, Isaac is visibly annoyed by this. Ellie tells Isaac that he is the only one capable of translating a Unitology script they found in the Admirals Quarters of the CMS Roanoke and that they must find out what it means to continue onto the next step. Isaac must find the Admirals Quarters and see the meaning of what the Admiral was trying to say.
This chapter will allow you to have a general free roam around the flotilla and try and find any weapon parts, artifacts and other goodies. The first proper side mission will be available where after receiving a signal transmission you are required to explore one of the ships of the fleet, called the CMS Greely. There is another side mission in the chapter where you must investigate transmissions received by John Carver at another ship, the CMS Brusilov, but this mission can only be completed while playing in co-op.
In order of appearance:
- Pukers (CMS Greely)
- Exploders (CMS Greely)
- Pregnants (CMS Brusilov only)
- In the Admiral's quarters, right before the cutscene is triggered, there is a mounted buck on the wall. Shooting it would earn the player the achievement/trophy, "Under a Buck".
- You encounter your first functional Suit Kiosk in this Chapter, allowing you to change your suit. If you change your suit and closed out of the Chapter before reaching a save point, you can resume the game and start at the point after finding Ellie and view the cutscene in the Admiral's quarters wearing a suit other than the EVA Suit.
- Admiral Graves' corpse can not be controlled with Kinesis, due to the fact that it is a piece of geometry in a cutscene (Isaac nearly tripped over her body), although it can be dismembered.
- The Leapers make their first appearance in this Chapter.
- The Pukers are encountered for the first time in this Chapter (In an optional mission).
- The Exploders are encountered for the first time in this Chapter (In an optional mission).
- The Pregnants are encountered for the first time in this Chapter (In a co-op mission)