|Cold And Cryptic|
|Game:||Dead Space 2|
|Previous Chapter:||Going to Church|
|Next Chapter:||I Need Some Transportation|
|Dead Space Wiki has a walkthrough guide to this level, Chapter 5: Cold and Cryptic. See Chapter 5: Cold and Cryptic/Walkthrough.|
This chapter spans many locations such as the Crypt, the Upper Church and the Cassini Towers.
Making his way down into the Funerary Crypt, Isaac ventures through the many sections of the cryo-storage before making it to the main area which was coffin storage. Upon fixing a malfunction Zero-G component, Isaac travels into the opposite area of the room and a maintenance area. Upon his exit, he finally reaches the top floor of the Church where Daina said that she was waiting. Successfully meeting her, Isaac is met with hostility as he is taken captive by Daina's bodyguards and Daina's betrayal was for the good of the Unitology and Convergence. She is gunned down by an EarthGov gunship before she can transport him back for further study.
The Chapter begins with Isaac entering the Funerary Crypt of the Church of Unitology. As he makes his way through the storage, he suffered from a hallucination involving screaming corpses in the cryo-tubes. As he is making his way through the Crypt, the Necromorphs began to burst out of the cryo-tubes and attack Isaac. After fending them off, he enters the cryo-tube transportation room which is directly above the gravity control room. Isaac contacts Daina about how to get out, but receives no response from her. As Isaac takes an elevator to the gravity control room, Daina delivers Isaac a jumbled message telling him to "go up".
After turning the gravity off and bypassing the cryo-tube delivery door, Isaac receives a message from Daina, warning him that the gunship is positioned near the compound. As Isaac makes his way up the Church, he encounters a unique version of the Tripod. After defeating the Tripod, the Pack attacks Isaac along with several Pukers, Slashers and Exploders. Then, he enters a room with a legless Stalker. After Isaac kills it and heads to the next room, he suffered from another hallucination of Nicole, taunting at him about his action of almost killing himself in the last Chapter.
Isaac finally makes his way up to the top of the Church, but as soon as he meets Daina, the two men grabbed Isaac's arms. Upon the realization that Daina is a Unitologist, she explains that she did not intend to cure Isaac, but just wanted him to build more Markers for the Church so they could spread Convergence to the entire galaxy. Before he gets taken away, the EarthGov Gunship from earlier arrives and begins to fire on the unsuspecting people. Daina is killed in the process along with one of her henchmen while Isaac kicked the other one out into space. A vacuum is created, sucking everything out into space as Isaac tries to hang on for his life.
Isaac pulls himself to a vent of the floor and falls into it, only to encounter the Tormentor. After a brief fight with the Tormentor with Isaac dismembering it's right arm, he encounters the Gunship again and is pushed by the Tormentor into the void of space. Isaac gripped onto the side of the ship, but not before the Tormentor is seen flying toward the ship as well. Isaac was flung off the hull of the ship and shot an explosive canister, destroying the gunship and Tormentor, ultimately sending him flying back into the Cassini Towers apartment complex and back to where he started.
In order of appearance:
- This chapter was where the demo ended.
- The demo of this section of the game was different from the final version. The extra rooms are added in between the main encounter rooms. Also, Isaac's voice was changed from the demo and in the final version. An example was when he entered the Gravity Tether Room and made his way to the elevator at the end. In the demo, Isaac was calm when he tried to contact Daina for instructions. In the actual game, he was more frantic. Also, in the demo, his closing line for the failed transmission with Daina was "Damn it." In the full game, he yelled out "Fuck".
- You encountered the Tormenter in the last part of this chapter.
- This was also the last chapter that you encountered the Zealot Slashers.
- This chapter of Dead Space 2 may pay a homage to Chapter 5: Lethal Devotion of Dead Space. This time around, Isaac had to fight the Necromorphs that bursted out of the cryo-tubes as it was opposed to the first game where he trapped the Hunter in a cryo-tube and only witnessed the frozen Necromorphs stored in cryo-tubes.
- Near the end of this chapter at the door right before you encountered Daina, if you use a Contact Beam's alt fire that was upgraded with Stasis, the two guards that are normally holding you in the cutscene would be slowed and delayed. When they got out of Stasis, they would proceed to act out what they are supposed to do earlier as if the cutscene just started. They would proceed to do this even when the gunship showed up, they disappeared around the QTE that occurred in this cutscene.
- Shooting the vent of the elevator that took you to the Save Station and the Detonator Schematic would stop the Slasher from dropping in all together.
- Originally, in the demo, while going through the second room of the cryo-tubes, the steam blasted out and caused Isaac to flinch. This was removed in the final game.
- In the last cryo-chamber, right before the player entered the Zero-G area, there was a Slasher faking death in front of the entrance to the Zero-G area. This Slasher had a unique skin not seen anywhere else in the game.
- Isaac was very lucky that the gunship's explosion propelled him through a window rather than into a wall. The window that he smashed through was very small and the chances of Isaac's trajectory lining up with the window are slim.
- Isaac encountered the Lurkers for first time in this chapter.
- The Ripper Schematic was found in the rotating gravity rings room.
- The Medium Medical Pack Schematic was found in this chapter.
- The Line Racks Schematic was found in one the Storage Rooms that you entered after falling through the duct system.
- The Detonator Schematic was found in the Office Room with a Save Station behind the desk.