|Search and Rescue|
|Previous Chapter:||Into the Void|
|Next Chapter:||Dead on Arrival|
|Objective:|| Make contact with the USM Valor
|Dead Space Wiki has a walkthrough guide to this level, Chapter 8: Search and Rescue. See Chapter 8: Search and Rescue/Walkthrough.|
In this Chapter, Isaac must fix the Communications Array and destroy The Slug in order to contact the USM Valor. Unfortunately, the Valor met it's demise when it recovered the escape pod that was launched back in Chapter 4. It crashed into the Ishimura causing a signal disruption which allows Hammond to contact Isaac. Hammond informs Isaac and Kendra that there is a shuttle that they can use to escape although it requires a Singularity Core which can be salvaged from the ruins of the USM Valor. Isaac heads to the tram which will bring him to the debris of the USM Valor.
The chapter begins in the Bridge - the area last visited in Chapter 4: Obliteration Imminent with Kendra informing Isaac that the USM Valor responded to their distress signal, but she could not respond back until the Communications Array is fixed. She instructs Isaac to head for the Communications Control Station while she hacks the door to Communications.
On his way to Communications Control, Isaac is trapped in the Main Atrium by a quarantine and forced to battle the large amounts of Exploders, Enhanced Slashers and Enhanced Leaper. When the quarantine lifts, Isaac takes the elevator to Floor 03 (Floor 01 is offline and the other Atrium elevator is covered with The Corruption) when Kendra tells him that the door to Communications is now unlocked and someone is listening in on their conversation. Isaac kills a pair of Guardians before reaching Communications. In the Communications Hall, a man dies as a fully formed Divider rounds the corner and attacks. Isaac kills the Divider and uses his Kinesis Module to remove a barricade and rides a Gondola to the Communications Array. Upon arriving in Communications, Isaac finds the Communications Array to be badly damaged, but still workable. Once the six working dishes are aligned symmetrically in the Communications Array Chamber (Which was infested with the Enhanced Leapers) and the control panel is activated, an automatic video log will be played coming from the USM Valor, indicating that they picked an escape pod up that was jettisoned from the USG Ishimura. Ironically, this is the same escape pod that Zach Hammond jettisoned back in Chapter 4 which contained a Necromorph - Pod 47. This message will play on a loop until the Ishimura responds. Kendra realized that the crew of the Valor was in danger and tries to open the blast doors to boost the signal and warn them, but she gets an error. She notes that something big is blocking the blast doors and instructs Isaac to destroy it by using ADS Cannon 48.
The 'object' blocking the blast doors turns out to be a large Necromorph called The Slug. Isaac had to shoot all five of the Slug's appendages off while deflecting the pieces of debris that it threw at him. After destroying The Slug by using the Cannon, it's corpse detaches from the blast doors and drifts into space so Kendra boosts the signal in an attempt to warn the Valor not to open the escape pod. The video feed coming from the Valor shows that it is too late as a Marine is sliced from behind by a Slasher, along with the other bloodbath scenes. Distracted by the video, Isaac and Kendra realized too late that the Valor is headed directly for the Ishimura and the two will collide. Kendra yells for Isaac to get out of there, but the ships collide and the resulting explosion knocks Isaac out for a while.
Isaac comes to with Nicole’s original video from the beginning playing as Isaac's suit is malfunctioning. This video cuts out as Hammond sends his own video for the first time since he left the Hydroponics Deck in Chapter 6: Environmental Hazard, revealing that he is alive and used a few health packs to heal himself. He also points out that someone was blocking his RIG signal remotely and because of the crash, he is now no longer blocked. He tells Isaac and Kendra that he is aborting the repair mission and is intent on getting them out. He notifies them of a shuttle on the Crew Deck that needs a new Singularity Core, which they can probably salvage from the Valor's ruin. He informs Isaac to meet him there and the video ends. After killing a Pregnant and another Divider, Isaac takes the tram to the Cargo Hold - the area where the Valor crashed.
- Enhanced Slashers.
- Enhanced Leapers.
- Dividers/Divider Components.
- The Slug.
- The Slug was encountered, fought and killed.
- Upon entering the Bridge, one of the elevators that Isaac used previously was now overgrown with The Corruption.
- The Captain's Nest where Hammond was first seen in Chapter 4 was now unreachable as the elevator was no longer operational.
- Shortly before reaching the first Store, The Hunter could be heard growling and sharpening it's claws.
- The Dividers are fought in this level for the first time, though their appendages are fought in the earlier levels.
- The Medium Air Can Schematic was found in this level in the room where you activated the Communications Array after fixing it.
- In the hallway leading to the Communications Array and ADS Cannon 48, there was a body in the corner where you met your first Divider. No matter how many times that you dismembered it, when you passed back through the area, the body was putted back together and was in one piece again.
- On the PS3 and possibly other systems (Unconfirmed on the other systems), when on the elevator that took you up to ADS Cannon 48, you could possibly fall through the elevator floor becoming trapped in the elevator shaft. The only known fix for this was to reload a previous save (Most likely at the save station at the Communications Array).
- While Isaac was taking the gondola over to the Communications Array, if he was immobile, there was a slight chance that the camera angle would 'push' him off, resulting in an unavoidable death and reverting to the checkpoint. A workable fix was to simply keep moving in some way, even if it was walking in circles until the gondola reached it's destination. (Confirmed for Xbox 360 and PC).
- Completing this chapter on any difficulty earned the "Strange Transmissions" Achievement/Trophy.