They are first encountered during the outbreak on the New Horizons Lunar Colony and later on throughout the story inside the ships orbiting Tau Volantis. Eventually, they are also encountered on the snow planet itself as Isaac attempts to make his way across the planet in order to find a way to stop the Markers .
- 1 Overview
- 2 Variants
- 3 All Appearances And Variations
- 4 Strategy
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Death Scene
- 7 Appearances
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Videos
Fodders use a rather cunning disguise in which they retain their hosts' clothing and overall silhouette, presumably allowing them to fool potential victims. The most immediate and obvious change to their appearance is their slime oozing eyes and mouth that emanate a ghastly yellow light. When this Necromorph is dismembered, the glow stops.
Unlike all other Necromorph strains, which rely on their mutated limbs and abilities to murder their prey, Fodders attack their victims using a variety of melee weapons, including ice axes, hatchets, bone saws, pipe wrenches, crowbars, and police batons.
Fodders emit sounds that closely resembles distorted human speech, these mumbles turning into angered roars when attacking a target, also letting out a near normal pained scream if injured and horrified scream during mutation.
While a Fodder's body has almost minimal physical alterations compared to a standard Necromorph, it possesses the unique ability to trigger mutations in action. Shooting them in either upper part or lower part can trigger various mutations. When the upper body receives significant damage, the torso explodes, revealing three pronged tentacles growing out of the host's pelvis. Upon damaging the legs, the pelvis will explode and three projectile-shooting appendages will sprout from the chest area for ranged combat and also to help with locomotion.
Fodders appear to have various appearances based on who the host was. The tools they wield also differ accordingly.
These Wasters were made out of recently deceased S.C.A.F. Pilots. Their hosts were equipped with green uniforms that covered most of their bodies leaving only their arms open to the elbows. They're coated in blood and slime and they lack some skin on their faces, exposing face muscles. They were presumed to be exclusively as the pilots of wrecked Mule, however, 200 years after the game's prologue that variant is encountered by Isaac Clarke on Tau Volantis which is most likely an overlook by developers since these Necromorphs retained their fresh condition even after 200 years.
Lunar EarthGov Security Officer
This Waster variant is a mutated version of a Lunar EarthGov security officer. They carry two retractable batons as well as retaining their host's armor, albeit covered in slime. The helmet visor part is broken, exposing the face. The nose is gone, and the mouth area is bursting with slime. They retain all the damage the host has received before mutation.
This variant is mummified corpses of the crew pertaining to the fleet orbiting Tau Volantis. They appear to be wearing faded green uniforms with the S.C.A.F. logo on the left breast and shoulder area. Parts of the uniform are covered in dried blood and the right arm has exposed area with fleshy bone just like with any other Navy corpse. For unknown reasons this variant also appears on the surface of Tau Volantis in certain parts.
S.C.A.F. Snow Scout
Those are mummified S.C.A.F. snow prospectors. Their hosts were once wearing Black-And-Yellow jackets. The only difference between them and the corpses of other S.C.A.F. snow scouts is that their faces ooze with slime. They carry a pair of ice axes with brown handles. They're found at S.C.A.F camps and outposts on the surface of Tau Volantis.
These are reanimated mutilated corpses of Circle soldiers. Just like with S.C.A.F. Snow Prospectors, the only difference between appearance of Circle soldier corpses and this variant is that their faces ooze with slime. They look bulky because of their RIG's and they carry a pair of ice axes with red handles. They don't use their rifles. They're encountered only in places with huge congestion of Unitologist Soldiers.
S.C.A.F. Research Team
The S.C.A.F. Research Team variant is encountered only in the labs of the S.C.A.F. mountain peak base. Their hosts were once wearing uniforms which closely resemble those of Snow Prospectors, however, it's coloration is different being Blue-And-White jackets instead of Black-And-Yellow. Their hosts were also wearing masks with glass visors and peculiar filters. After mutation the visor part of their masks is broken and their uniforms are splattered in slime. The slime in their mouths can be seen pulsating through the filter. They wield a pair of saws that were most likely used to slice through Alien specimens.
S.C.A.F. Scientists that were issued with bulky suits for protection against radiation. After their deaths their bodies were left to decompose in their enormous suits resulting in mutation into forceful Necromorphs later on. They're oozing with olive slime that even bursts through the covering of their suits. Their gas masks are holding off the slime but it still can be seen protruding through the eye pieces. Their suits grant them soundly protection from any sorts of damage. They wield a pair of pipe wrenches.
All Appearances And Variations
- Sometimes when particular mutation is about to happen, these Necromorphs become invulnerable to any kinds of damage.
- Due to the Fodder's ability to split in half, it is recommended to aim for the legs first when equipped with a heavy damaging weapon, since this will kill the Fodder within one or two shots.
- Blowing off a Fodder's arm then severing a leg will kill it without much trouble.
- Fodders are extremely resilient to TK impalements from their own tools, so it's not recommended to throw a tool at one as it leaves the player open to other attackers while not being able to neutralize the Fodder and may even cause it to split.
- A single Fodder shouldn't really be an issue for the player, even after splitting, but when there are a group of them, one can go from a simple situation to a rather sticky one with them attacking you from close and distant ranges. Fodders can be very ruthless and brutal when attacking in numbers. Stasis is highly recommended when dealing with groups of them.
- If there are other types of Necromorphs in an area, a weapon can be picked off a Fodder and used as a TK projectile.
- Stasis and melee attacks are an effective combination when facing a weakened Fodder.
- Use a Force Gun (Heavy frame + Plasma core + default tip/ Mk 2 conic dispersal) while they are sprinting at you to launch them backwards, and while they recover from their fall, shoot them with a chain lightning gun (Heavy Frame + Tesla core + diffraction torus) upgraded with damage circuits. Normal Fodders die in one hit, even to the body, and enhanced Fodders die in one hit to the limbs or two hits to the body at impossible difficulty. The strategy works brilliantly when there are multiple Fodders to kill; just make sure that the Fodders are on the ground and not up and running while aiming with the chain lightning. It is recommended to use a stasis coating with the weapon, as this tremendously slows down Fodders via the chain lightning gun should you fail to kill it in one hit, since the chain lightning weapon is very slow but extremely powerful.
- The Force Gun and Military Engine are great for mowing down large groups of them.
- A decently upgraded Chain Lightning Gun (Heavy Frame + Tesla Core + Diffraction Torus) will instantly kill any Fodder type, even Enhanced ones, in a single hit to the body on all but the highest difficulty settings. The Fodder will break apart at the waist but will not transform, simply dropping dead on the spot while the chain lightning effect already deals damage to other nearby hostiles. With some clip upgrades installed, a Chain Lightning Gun can hold up to 9 shots per clip and is therefore easily capable of clearing an entire wave of Fodders in a matter of seconds without any trouble.
- Weapons with Acid or Fire attachments can dismember one in seconds.
- Line Gun - type weapons will quickly finish them off if their tentacles are exposed.
- A Rip-Core, especially an upgraded one, usually defeats them with little difficulty.
- Slasher blades will cut them in half instantly on Normal difficulty.
- A single Shotgun blast will kill a Fodder instantly without allowing it to mutate. Enhanced Fodders are much tougher and can withstand multiple Shotgun blasts even if the weapon has full damage, regardless of the difficulty level.
- A Military Engine with a Directed Suspension Field (a.k.a. Sub-Machine Gun tip) will make short work of any Fodder coming your way (tested on Hard difficulty, 2-5 bursts with no upgraded parts and circuits). Add a Flame Glaze or Acid Bath attachment to amplify the effectiveness.
- The Anchored Bolas (Tesla Core + Directed Suspension Field) or the shock from an Electrocution Module will kill Fodders without causing them to transform. Similarly, any weapon that can remove both legs at the same time (e.g. Shotgun, Line Gun/Bolas Gun variants, Plasma Cutter variants) can also kill them without triggering their transformation.
- A Seeker Rifle (military engine with sniper rifle barrel) that is upgraded to max damage can easily kill most Fodders with a single torso shot: note: you should attach a secondary weapon to the Seeker rifle due to its low ammo capacity and fire rate.
- The most effective way for killing Enhanced Fodders (or any other Necromorph) is a MK V Seeker Rifle on top with a MK V Force Gun at the bottom on a S.C.A.F Frame and MK V Stasis coating with MK V Stasis Amplifier as attachments.While the Force gun pushes back groups of them, it takes 2 shots to the body to take them down.Being fast is critical because after one high damaging shot, Fodders can quickly mutate themselves into horrific forms.
- The Fodder is based on a very early concept of Necromorphs, wherein an octopus-like parasite would wear a corpse like a suit. Upon being dismembered, the parasite would emerge as a mass of flailing tendrils in search of its lost limb. While this concept for necromorphs was completely scrapped, it was eventually reintroduced as The Fodder.
- This Necromorph has the most physical transformations once the Necromorph gets dismembered.
- The Waster is the first Necromorph encountered in Dead Space 3.
- When the corpse of a Circle member is reanimated into a Fodder, it discards its former firearm and proceeds to pull out a pair of ice axes.
- Fodders are the first Necromorphs seen to use human weapons and tools. The reasons for this are unclear; the fact that this behavior was witnessed 200 years prior to the events of Dead Space would seem to contradict any recent evolution or new development of the species, while the appearance of Fodder enemies in the New Horizons colony on Luna rules out proximity to Tau Volantis’s Moon as the deciding factor.
- Fodders use a variety of weapons along with ice axes, including hatchets, crowbars, police batons, saws and large pipe wrenches, as seen throughout the story of Dead Space 3.
- While explicitly stated in the description, kills with ANY Fodder weapon (crowbar, wrenches, ice axes, etc.) will count toward achievement progress.
- The Fodder can be compared to an alien creature from John Carpenter's The Thing, due to the fact that it somewhat resembles a still living human, until it manifests inhuman appendages for offensive or defensive purposes, and the Fodder is inhumanly resistant to damage. Additionally, its winter gear and clothing is very similar to the scientists from the film and its arctic setting.
- The Wasters encountered in the Prologue do not sprout tentacles from their abdomen or their legs when dismembered.
- The Enhanced Wasters in the Disposal Services bonus mission never mutate.
- Like the Slasher and some other Necromorphs, Fodders also have an Enhanced form which looks more muscular, has a green pus oozing out of its body and onto its clothes and is more resistant to damage than the regular form.
- RIGs of S.C.A.F. Navy and Aviators Wasters have small red bars at the bottom. (Same applies to Navy/Pilot corpses).
- When Isaac ascends the cliffs of Tau Volantis, a Fodder can be heard then seen using its own ice axes to smash into the ice in a snow cavern in an attempt to free itself after a boulder landed on its foot.
- This is the only Necromorph Isaac turns into should he fail the button sequence with a Swarm.
- When Fodders lose their upper bodies, their legs walk backwards.
- The glowing eyes and mouth of a Fodder is similar to the hallucination of Nicole in the previous game.
- The Fodder will grab onto Isaac, at which point if he doesn't escape the Fodder, it will slice off his arm and proceed to disembowel him.
- If Isaac succeeds, he will push the Fodder down and decapitate it with his foot. This does not guarantee a kill, however.
- While the death scene does introduce a first person perspective of the Fodder killing the player, should it occur with a wall or other obstruction directly behind them, the player's corpse will look as though the final blow has been dealt already.
- If Isaac is low on health, the Fodder will punch him over to ground.
- If Isaac is low on health and is hit by the tentacles of the Fodder, it will split him apart.