Date of death:
|Chronological and political information|
- "Alright, I know you're confused right now. I can explain everything, but you gotta trust me, okay? Listen! You're in terrible, terrible danger!"
- —Franco's last words
Franco Delille (frɒŋkoʊ dliːlə) was an engineer and Unitologist working on Titan Station. One of the initial survivors of the Necromorph outbreak, he was the first on-screen victim in Dead Space 2.
Outbreak on the SprawlEdit
Franco was specifically assigned with the mission to free Isaac Clarke from the Titan Memorial Medical Center's asylum. During his journey with Sarah Andarsyn, Franco kept logs of his progress that revealed his difficulty in reaching "Target zero" (Isaac) because of Andarsyn and the outbreak.
Prior to the initial Necromorph outbreak on the Sprawl, Franco was ordered by his superior, Weaver to head to the CEC Facility to repair a malfunctioning door. He was assisted voluntarily by CPD Officer Sarah Andarsyn, his girlfriend. The two embarked on various repair missions assigned by Weaver or reported by the other station engineers. After repairing a manufacturing sky panel outside the station, Franco and Andarsyn are advised by Weaver to remain on active duty. Weaver's reasoning was the problems arising from the news of an unspecified "outbreak" that may require their skills. Before heading for the tram station, Franco received an encoded message from an unknown sender and lied to Andarsyn, telling her that it was a wrong number.
While they are waiting at the tram station, Franco and Andarsyn encountered a stampeding crowd flooding into the station. The cause of the panic are a group of humanoid creatures. Andarsyn attempted to kill the creatures with her gun only to be knocked over by the crowd. Andarsyn managed to defend herself by using a Plasma Cutter.
When more Necromorphs arrived, Franco ordered the civilians and Andarsyn to board the tram and they escaped. Weaver contacted Franco with more information on the "outbreak" spreading throughout the Sprawl and instructed Franco to repair the lighting in Public Sector 45 to prevent the determent of the Sprawl security. However, Andarsyn wanted to assist her former partner, Hodgkens with a hostage situation in Public Sector 27.
If Franco went to Sector 45, he and Andarsyn are driven into the vents and to the Titan Station Church of Unitology by the appearance of more Necromorphs. He repaired the Church's security shields and terminals and managed to restore the lighting in Sector 45. If Franco followed Andarsyn, his assistance with the hostage situation aided in the rescue of Armado Creeg's family and Creeg's death.The diverging narrative paths of Ignition took Franco and Andarsyn to help either those heading for the hospital or to the upper levels of Public Sector 27 where Weaver ordered a quarantine lockdown of the levels below them. Franco's choices always resulted in the death of Andarsyn, either by his own hand to preserve the secrecy of his mission, an ambush by the Pack or suffocation from a rupture in her suit during a space walk to the station's inner rim.
Upon reaching the Psych Ward, Franco ruminated over the people that he lost on his journey before releasing Isaac Clarke from his cell. As Isaac regained consciousness, he informed Daina Le Guin, his contact that he located him. Franco, aware about the danger tried to warn Isaac about their situation. Before he could, Franco was impaled in the chest and forehead by an Infector which transformed him into a Slasher. Isaac knocked him down and escaped the hospital under the guidance of Daina.
- Franco was voiced by actor and director, Jason DeVan.
- Rich Briggs, producer of both Ignition and Dead Space 2 lent his likeness to Franco's in-game model.
- The actions of Franco in Dead Space 2 are directly tied to the player's choices in Dead Space: Ignition. Two options would cause him to betray Andarsyn while the other two caused her accidental death. In the end, these four alternative narratives would eventually prelude Dead Space 2.
- His death at the beginning of Dead Space 2 was the only animated glimpse of the Necromorph transformation. The other animations involved a model switch of the corpse to a Necromorph.
- The Necromorph Transformation Lithograph distributed with the Collector's Edition of Dead Space 2 showed the transformation of Franco.
- In the Dead Space 2 Launch Trailer, Isaac was in his Advanced RIG instead of his Patient RIG when Franco woke him up. This was likely a deliberate choice to avoid the spoilers of the opening scene.
- Franco's transformed body could be seen if Isaac re-entered the cell. He would act as any other Slasher and attack Isaac.
- Franco's Necromorph model was often re-used for random Slasher encounters throughout Dead Space 2.
- It was also notable that his RIG featured the old health bar from the first Dead Space. This could be better seen when playing the game at medium or low settings as the dynamic light would not brighten the camera.
- It was strongly implied, if not explicitly designed that Delille was under covert orders from Daina Le Guin to fetch Isaac Clarke based on the radio chatter at the opening of Dead Space 2 and based on Delille's intentional Unitologist behavior as it was observed in the Ignition ending.
Franco's Audio LogsEdit
- ↑ As mentioned by Franco himself in the opening cinematic
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Dead Space 2: Chapter 1: Where Am I?
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dead Space: Ignition: Act 1, Opening
- ↑ Dead Space: Ignition
- ↑ Dead Space 2: Chapter 2: I Need Transportation: Hampered
- ↑ Dead Space 2: Chapter 4: Going to Church: Suspicion
- ↑ Dead Space 2: Chapter 9: Transportation Preparation: Activation
- ↑ Dead Space: Ignition: Act 2, Path 1: Lighting Failure
- ↑ Dead Space: Ignition: Act 2, Path 2: Hostage Situation
- ↑ Dead Space: Ignition: Act 3, Path 1, Route 1: Direct Path
- ↑ Dead Space: Ignition: Act 3, Path 2, Route 2: Space Walk
- ↑ Dead Space: Ignition: Act 4, Ending