Civilian Space Station
Fusion Reactors (current)
Solar Array (former)
Some time before, 2446
February 7, 2511
Some time after the station's explosion
Titan Station (Colloquially known as The Sprawl) was a civilian space station built into the last remaining fragment of Titan, one of Saturn's moons and the site of the first planet crack. Titan Station itself encircled the Shard of Titan as a large metropolis with inner structures such as schools, malls, skyscrapers and a Unitologist church. The population of the station exceeded one million people. The Titan Station Security Force was the law enforcement on Titan Station. The CPD was a repair company on Titan Station.
The Sprawl was split into two distinct sectors called the Public Sector and the Government Sector. Three "crossover tubes" provided transportation between the two and acted as a docking platform for ships. During the incident, Vandal opened the crossover tubes, allowing the Necromorphs from the Titan Mines to enter the Public Sector.
The Public Sector took the form of a large semicircle surrounding the Titan Shard with large towering buildings and structures on it's upper and lower sides connected via gravity-adjusting elevators. The lower side was known as the Inverted City. The most notable structures of this Sector include the Titan Memorial Medical Center, the Titan Heights apartment complex, the Concourse shopping mall, the Cassini Towers apartment complex, the Church of Unitology, the Titan Elementary School, the Solar Array and the CEC Facility.
The Government Sector was located above the Titan Mines on the Titan Shard. The Government Sector housed a Shuttleport, EarthGov offices, and a research lab used as a Marker research and manufacturing plant. The facility's Project Telomere was responsible for the research into the Gold Marker.
The first planet crackEdit
Titan, a moon orbiting Saturn was selected as the site of the first moon harvest, a predecessor to planet cracking. A large colony was established on the surface of the moon to study it's geology and prepare it for mining. The moon was successfully cracked and 'harvested', only slightly behind schedule.
Titan's harvest was halted for unknown reasons before the entire moon was dissasembled, leaving the small shard where the colony started. As planet cracking became more common, the station experienced rapid growth as it functioned as both a critical research outpost and a way station for deep space mining operatons.
2508 - 2510Edit
Titan Station felt the effects of the Ishimura incident in the years leading up to the outbreak due to the decline of the planet cracking industry. Unemployment rose as mining support services and the CEC posted heavy quarterly losses. The station experienced a small economic boost, however due to grants received from EarthGov's classified scientific research.
After rescuing Isaac Clarke from his escape shuttle, Director Hans Tiedemann and his scientists committed Isaac and Nolan Stross to the Medical Center. Over the course of three years, while committed there, the Marker codes are extracted from both of their brains. Tiedemann forces them to construct a monumental Marker using these codes so he could obtain its power. After its completion, many citizens, especially children became anxious and the station experiences violent outbreaks of homicide and suicide similar to those on the USG Ishimura and Aegis VII.
Although its origin was never actually revealed, the Necromorph infection awoke and spread throughout the Sprawl. It is possible that the Church Of Unitology was aware about EarthGov's Marker experiments, andsent unwitting worshipers deep into the mines of Titan. Here they committed suicide in the presence of the Site 12 Marker's signal that had started leaking through the containment shell protecting the Marker, becoming the first Necromorphs. To back up this claim, Vandal from Dead Space Mobile was a Unitologist who aided in the spread of the infection by releasing the outbreak into the Public Sector. Also, Tyler could be heard reporting that the Necromorph infection was a success, suggesting that the Church was fully aware about the relationship between the infection and the Marker.
In Dead Space 2, various logs discovered by Isaac further indicate that Unitology was responsible for the infection. However, the infection and Necromorphs spared no one, butchering families and children indiscriminately. Director Tiedemann declared martial law and ordered the station to begin evacuations, against protocols previously set for any sort of Necromorph outbreak. It is unknown how many people actually managed to be evacuated before the Public Sector was declared "lost".
During this time, Isaac Clarke managed to elude Tiedemann's forces, so Tiedemann cut the Transport Hub power and life support off in an effort to deter Clarke from reaching the Government Sector. When this gambit failed due to Isaac reactivating the decommissioned Solar Array for the station, Tiedemann resorted to directing the focused beam of energy from the Solar Array to slice through all of the connections between the civilian areas of the Sprawl and the Shard, effectively cutting the Sprawl in two.
Even this failed to halt Isaac's progress as he proceeded to use the gravity tethers of the docked USG Ishimura to drag the Shard back toward the rest of the Sprawl, allowing him access. Once on the Shard, Isaac and Ellie Langford managed to penetrate the EarthGov compound via a mining drill, but this also allowed the Necromorphs to infiltrate the facility. The mass of invading Necromorphs reach the Marker, triggering a Convergence Event which Isaac halts at the last moment.
In the end, the damage caused to the Sprawl by the massive release of energy from the Marker's destruction along with all of the other damage that it sustained destabilized the station's reactors, causing a meltdown. The ensuing explosions completely and utterly destroyed the Sprawl.
Titan Memorial Medical CenterEdit
- Main article: Titan Memorial Medical Center
A medical facility located in the Public Sector. Isaac awoke here after the facility was besieged by the Necromorphs. When Isaac awoke, he was overcame with fear at the carnage.
- Main article: Titan Heights
An apartment complex located very close to the Medical Center. It provided several floors worth of apartments.
Isaac arrived in the complex just as the Necromorphs began attacking. Several innocent civilians are seen being slaughtered as Isaac battled his way to the tram station.
- Main article: The Concourse
A two-story shopping mall located in the heart of the Sprawl. The stores are locked down when Isaac arrived and the many abandoned shopping bags and pools of blood indicated that the Necromorphs attacked during normal operation hours.
- Main article: Cassini Towers
An apartment complex on Titan Station. Unlike Titan Heights, the Towers seemed to be inhabited mostly by Unitologists. In the center of the two apartment wings, there are four statues dedicated to Unitology. One of them was a large Marker statue that stood close to the window and south of it are three masked Unitologist statues. Behind the three statues was an entrance to the Church of Unitology.
Upon Isaac's arrival, the Towers are covered in graffiti and littered with the bodies of those who committed ritualistic suicide according to their faith.
Titan Station Church of UnitologyEdit
- Main article: Titan Station Church of Unitology
Titan Elementary SchoolEdit
- Main article: Titan Elementary School
- Main article: Solar Array
The Solar Array used to be Titan Station's main power source until it was replaced by fusion reactors.
- Main article: CEC Facility
- Fuel Core
- Main article: Titan Mines
- Main article: Government Sector
- Marker Lab
- The following below is a list of Titan Station's inhabitants before and during the time of the outbreak.
- Aleef Shehadeh
- Alejandro Borges
- Armado Creeg
- Casey Milham
- Colin Price
- Daina Le Guin
- Ellie Langford
- Foster Edgars
- Franco Delille
- Gabe Weller
- Hans Tiedemann
- Howard Phillips
- Isabel Cho
- Karrie Norton (Vandal)
- Lexine Weller
- Maxmillian Reinhardt
- Mikel Vlastnik
- Nickolas Kuttner
- Noah Pawling
- Omar Nayim
- Patient Four
- Patient Five
- Rachel Tatchet
- Samara Yasmin
- Sarah Andarsyn
- Tyler Radikov
- Victor Bartlett
- Vivian Kuttner
- Xander Sklar
- List of logs in Dead Space 2
- Survivor Encounters
- After the events of Dead Space: Extraction, Lexine Murdoch, Gabe Weller and Nathan McNeill set a course for the Sprawl after escaping the Ishimura.
- Based on the dialogue between Gabe Weller and Nathan McNeill at the conclusion of Dead Space: Extraction, it is implied that they had both visited the Sprawl before.
- It is estimated that the Sprawl is well over 60 years old, since it was created after the first Planet crack, which took place before the USG Ishimura was even built.
- The Sprawl is a sovereign nation state, but is still under the jurisdiction of the Earth Government.
- The Sprawl had it's own police force.
- Titan Station has one known television network; the Sprawl News Network (SNN).
- Stray comets are routinely captured and used for the water supply on the Sprawl. This is common practice for large stations and ships in the solar system.
- The Sprawl is powered by a nuclear fusion reactor during the events of Dead Space 2, although it was once powered by large solar panel arrays.
- There are many theories as to how exactly the outbreak began on the Sprawl. A very likely possibility is that the Church of Unitology sent unwitting worshipers into the depths of the mines of Titan, close to the influence of the Site 12 Marker, to commit suicide, therefore becoming Necromorphs and dooming the station and its population. This is heavily hinted at by logs discovered by Isaac on his journey, indicating that the Church had a hand in the infection. Another bit of evidence to support this theory is that Tyler in Dead Space iOS reported the Necromorph infection a success, showing the Church was well aware of the virus and its relationship with the Markers. Their motivation was most likely to spread "Glorious Convergence" to the galaxy.
- Titan Station's environment changes throughout the game; In chapters 1-3, it is night time. From chapters 4-10, dawn sets in and during chapter 11, one can see the Sprawl engulfed in flames and frequent explosions with smoke rising from skyscrapers. Titan Station is finally destroyed at the end of Dead Space 2.
- Cyberpunk author William Gibson's fictional, prototypical dystopian cyberpunk setting for some of his novels and short stories shares the name "The Sprawl".
- In Chapter 6, there is a large poster of Skate 3 in the Holleran transport hub. This is an easter egg, because you can play as Isaac in Skate 3's free-skate using cheats.
- If you look closely at a Dead Space: Aftermath screenshot of the Sprawl, you can see the Ishimura docked on the inside docking terminal, and in the actual movie, you see a Planet-Cracker class vessel leave the Sprawl. The Planet-Cracker may possibly be the USG Castle or one of the other three.
- It's interesting to note that the movie poster 'Kitty Kitty Bang Bang' can also be seen on the USG Ishimura although Dead Space 2 was set at 3 years after the Second Aegis VII Incident.
- The Sprawl is around 11 miles long (it is roughly the length of 11 Ishimuras from one end of public sector to the other).