- "Jesus that thing was angry!"
- —Isaac, after fighting a male Tripod for the first time.
There are two types of Tripods: Male and Female. Both are extremely violent, even by Necromorph standards.
Males are the more common type of Tripod Isaac encounters on the Sprawl. He is a massive Necromorph, comparable in size to a Brute, formed from numerous hosts. He attacks by swinging his arm in a wide arc, slamming his fist into the ground, flailing around his bladed tongue, or by pouncing on its victim from a distance. His only weak points are three yellow pustules (one on each arm, and one on the tongue). After both arms are dismembered, he will finally die. However, after losing one arm he will use his bladed tongue to attack. Destroying this will kill him, but occasionally he may continue to attack. The areas they are encountered in are almost invariably very large, open and usually circular.
Only one female Tripod is encountered in Dead Space 2. While also formed from multiple corpses, the primary host appears to be a human female. Most disturbingly, an infant's body and limbs are seen growing out of the Tripod's tentacle.
A Female Tripod is encountered by Isaac in the Church of Unitology. The Tripod first pounces on Isaac from above, knocking him to the ground. She then grabs and drags him across the floor, attempting to hit him with her bladed tongue but Isaac dodges it. The tongue acts similarly to a Drag Tentacle, except with a yellow sack made from an infant as a weak point. Once Isaac shoots the sack enough times, it will explode, rendering the bladed tongue no longer effective, and the female Tripod will release him and retreat. However, hitting her about 30 times in the body with the Hand Cannon on Casual or Normal will kill her.
- Always stay on the move. Due to its long arms, a Tripod can easily catch up to you if you stand still. Even if you are on the other side of the room, a Tripod will close the distance in seconds, usually hurting you in the process.
- The Flamethrower does an excellent job of burning off Tripod limbs. It is especially useful in the Tripod Nest.
- Stasis is crucial. A Tripod under Stasis is an easy target for any of your weapons. With enough firepower, you should be able to dismember one of its arms after 1-stasis shot.
- If you don't have Stasis, weapons like the Line Gun, Flamethrower and Pulse Rifle, due to their wide range and/or rapid fire capabilities, can make dismembering an un-Stasised Tripod easier.
- Conversely, unless you're a good shot, weapons like the Plasma Cutter, Seeker Rifle, Contact Beam or any other precision weapons are NOT recommended for fighting an un-Stasised Tripod. Since the weak points are on its arms, they're always moving, making lining up a shot difficult. However, if you ARE a good shot, particularly with the Seeker Rifle, it only takes 2-zoomed shots to dismember an arm, un-upgraded, even on Zealot.
- If you are particularly accurate with the Javelin Gun. In Zealot difficulty, a single-shot from a fully-upgraded Javelin Gun can take off a Tripod limb with ease. If the first-shot doesn't seem to take off a limb, simply initiate the weapon's Alt-Fire to blow the Tripod's arm off. It It is strongly recommended that you only face Tripods with a Javelin Gun with an explosive upgrade as without it, the electricity alone will not be enough to sever a Tripod's limb.
- In the elevator sequence when the Tripods surround it and try to grab Isaac through the windows in chapter 7, dismembering a Tripod's arm will instantly kill it. However, it is much easier to kill a Tripod with one shot from an un-upgraded Detonator on the easier difficulties, as well as use the Pulse Rifle's Alt-Fire and the Contact Beam on their chest area, and they will let go.
- In the same elevator sequence, Force gun works best against the Tripods. One shot from the primary fire will dismember the tripod entirely, killing it instantly, although you must assure that you stay close enough to hit it. This strategy is the most suitable for higher difficulties, like Zealot or Hardcore.
- In the Tripod's Nest, where you last encounter the Tripods, using the explosive canisters to stun it and do damage is quite helpful in dispatching a Tripod. However, you don't have to kill any Tripods during this sequence, as a live Tripod will die seconds after you blow up the second Tank.
- In the Tripod nest section it is effective to dismember one of the first Tripod's arms, thus somewhat hampering its movements. Then using stasis to further slowing it down, destroy the tanks during this time.
- When you dismember one of its arms, it starts using its tongue for attacking Isaac. If you Stasis it at the moment the tongue comes out, you can dismember it. It helps do extreme damage to the Tripod, and it is easier to kill when hitting the second arm. However, it is extremely difficult to hit it when not under Stasis. Using the Flamethrower or the Pulse Rifle would be a good choice.
- In the Church of Unitology, if Isaac doesn't shoot the sack enough times, the Tripod brings her blade down on Isaac's right arm, severing it. She then proceeds to lift him up, slam him into the wall, then into the floor, knocking his helmet off. While she holds him down, she raises her scythe and rams it down into Isaac's mouth. She pulls the scythe back out, severing Isaac's head. As his body twitches, then lies still, the creature's arm suddenly comes down on his abdomen and rips his body in half. This also happens with male tripods, the only difference being he does not slash off Isaac's arm.
- If Isaac is killed during the elevator ride to the Solar Arrays, one of the Tripods will stab Isaac in the stomach with his tongue-blade. As Isaac screams, the blade then cuts off his right arm, also knocking off his helmet. With Isaac still standing, the Tripod then cuts off Isaac's other arm. As Isaac screams in pain, the Tripod grabs him with his third foot and throws him out the window. The camera then zooms in on his disfigured face.
- If Isaac does not kill the male Tripod in time, his air runs out and he collapses from suffocation. Occasionally, the Tripod will decapitate Isaac after he runs out of air.
- The Tripod has been said to have a nest, as seen in one of the Dead Space 2 Achievements/Trophies, "Hornet's Nest." It is destroyed in an explosion near the end of Chapter 9.
- Observing the malformed head of a male Tripod will reveal that his "head" is actually a man's head, which is twisted upside-down.
- If you shoot the Female Tripod's weak spot with the Javelin Gun or Hand Cannon, she will release you instantly. If you do this before she drags Isaac for the first time, the Pack will not attack. However, taking just a couple steps forward will trigger the fight.
- Strangely, the Flamethrower is incredibly powerful against Tripods even on Hardcore mode without upgrades; being able to dismember their arms incredibly fast.
- The male Tripod is made up of 6 bodies, male bodies for the arms, leg, and head/back, an infant without a clarified gender for the tongue blade and a female body for the stomach.
- A kinesis impalement with a Slasher blade can dismember any appendage that is hit, making it a less difficult kill.
- After the player kills the first tripod they encounter, if the player were to shoot his corpse, get near him, or use kinesis to pick up his semiconductor drop, he will thrash around, possibly damaging the player before perishing.
- It is NOT necessary to shoot the female tongue to make her release you. If you are playing on easy or normal and have the Hand Cannon, about thirty shots to the body will make her let go. However, given that the Hand Gun is impossibly powerful, and the sheer number of shots it takes, you would run out of ammo for all other weapons long before you dealt enough damage to the Tripod's body to escape.
- When a male Tripod kills Isaac, the Tripod will not slice off his right arm. Also, Isaac does not scream or choke.
- During the first Tripod fight, after severing the first arm, the Tripod starts using a lunge attack with his bladed tongue. If you stasis the Tripod directly after a lunge that you avoid, and shoot the yellow infected flesh on the tongue, it will eventually be dismembered, and this will kill the Tripod, despite his second arm still being intact. On Hardcore mode, it takes only 4 shots to dismember the tongue with the un-upgraded Plasma Cutter, versus several for the arm; thus saving ammo.
- In the Tripod's death sequence in the Solar Array, Isaac is able to scream even though he was in an air vacuum. This may be because his suit has a separate 'atmosphere' of air for him to breathe, as earlier in the game when a EarthGov gunship destroys the glass while Isaac is being captured by Diana, he makes no special hurry to put his helmet back on.
- Along with the Divider, Cyst, Guardian, Nest, Spitter, Drag Tentacle, Exploder, and Pregnant (Excluding Dead Space Mobile). The Tripod is the one unique exceptions of Necromorph variant that doesn't seem to share an Enhanced form.