- "These things seem to handle bullets just fine, but a couple of rips from this bad boy and they don't get up."
- —Samuel Irons
The Plasma Saw is a mining-tool-turned-weapon only featured in the film Dead Space: Downfall. It has also been featured at the mobile version of Dead Space, use as a close-range attacks. A game which was taken placed between Dead Space and Dead Space 2 features a similar weapon for melee attacks. See more at "Dead Space (Mobile)".
Description[edit | edit source]
When activated, the Saw projects a stream of suppressed Plasma that takes the shape of a blade similar to a chainsaw's that, when in use, will remain active and extended until the saw is deactivated. The saw has a flashlight affixed to the top of it, and bears a vague resemblance to the 211-V Plasma Cutter.[note 1]
Not much is known about the saw, but given the precise cuts it makes in the Necromorphs it can be assumed that the saw was used to carve up reasonably-sized rocks that a single miner could handle by themselves. This tool comes with no hints to any secondary function.
Operational history[edit | edit source]
Samuel Irons found a crate of these saws and viewed the find as a "divine discovery", just down the hall from where the P.C.S.I. Sec. team made their first stand against a horde of Slashers. He came to their rescue, effortlessly slicing the Slashers apart with his saw. The team then replaced their issued firearms with the Plasma Saws due to their greater efficiency.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Shen was killed by Hanson, a crazed security sergeant using a Plasma Saw.
- In the announcement trailer for Dead Space 3, Isaac is briefly shown wielding what appears to be the plasma saw. In the final version of the game, there are no usable melee weaponry accessible to the player(s), though it could have been finalized into the default Hydraulic Engine attachment which serves a similar purpose.
- It is possible that this could be a larger variant of the SH-B1 Plasma Saw that Vandal used in Dead Space (mobile).
List of appearances[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Under a criminal file at the start of the movie, the tool is officially called a "Plasma Cutter". This may suggest that there are several different kinds of Plasma Cutters (as this one is obviously different from the game's version), or the creators of the film incorrectly adapted the 211-V Plasma Cutter.
Sources[edit | edit source]