- "More of what?! What the hell are those things? Is that the crew?!"
- —Kendra Daniels
当宿主死亡后，感染原体便开始对其进行转化。过程十分迅速而猛烈。Cellular functions go into a self destructive overdrive, new biologically active compounds are generated and then metabolized by reanimated flesh to fuel further mutation of once dead flesh. Bones are broken, put together in new configurations, or turned into entirely new forms. All of this takes place in a handful of seconds, and generates tremendous amounts of heat. More often than not, the twisting corpse becomes so hot that stagnant blood boils in the veins and arteries, rupturing skin. Vital and digestive organs that are no longer needed are turned into additional musculature, giving all Necromorphs increased strength. Seemingly not needing such a complex, vulnerable support system, the re-purposing of these organs also allows the recombinant organism an almost unnatural resistance to injury.
Pure Necromorph tissue is light pink and translucent. It is capable of movement and sticks to surfaces. The pink tissue is capable of consuming and reconstructing necrotic flesh and can transform living flesh when injected directly into a person's blood stream.
The actual type of Necromorph created largely depends on the location and circumstance, for example Lurkers are created from any infant human. However, some Necromorphs are clearly composed of more than one human (see Brute, Tripod or Graverobber), which is an indication that some form of intelligence is at work allocating biomass for specific use. This is especially troubling, as it shows a degree of planning and forethought not found in simple creatures.
All Necromorphs are extremely hardy and capable of surviving in lethal environments such as the vacuum of space. This evidences a total lack of respiration or reliance upon vascular activity. It is this lack of a vascular support system, more than anything else, that is the primary reason for their hardiness. As experience shows, shooting them in the torso where a normal organism can be counted to go down due to internal bleeding and vascular shock is ineffective. While shots to center mass are still disruptive and will kill them eventually, it is extremely wasteful and potentially lethal; a person may waste a large amount of ammunition, or may be attacked by other Necromorphs while they are concentrated on one.
The Necromorph infection is not only limited to humans, Dead Space: Martyr describes a Necromorph fish which behaves like all other Necromorphs, as it attacks another fish in order to kill and infect it.The Stalker is made up of animal body parts.
Not all dead flesh appears to be used for mobile Necromorph forms; a massive, mat-like growth known as The Corruption is present. The Cyst, Nest, the Guardian, and the Drag Tentacles are also present.
- —Catherine Howel
Creatures not currently engaging a non-Necromorph target have been observed as performing several different behaviors. Many will wander aimlessly, almost passively, with no real destination, until they are aware of a new victim to kill that they will immediately engage. Some will drag bodies to a different location, possibly to make it easier for an Infector to find. Some will hide themselves inside ventilation shafts, setting up new or resetting previous ambush sites. Some will simply stand in place, waiting for a new victim to come to them. When a target is present but out of range, they will often watch the victim and attempt to intimidate them with loud growls and threatening poses.
从死亡空间2中Stalkers的介绍来看，它们的反应能力提升了。除Hive Mind外, Stalkers在尸变体中显示出具有最强的群体意识和个体智能，它们会从角落中窥视以引诱艾萨克，另一只则会从不同方向发动冲锋。它们也是唯一已知的直接与同类交流的尸变体。它们发出的声音可能具有某些意义，e.g. 当艾萨克移动时Stalkers会发出声音警告其它Stalkers。也有可能是它们如同Pack般彼此交流
- —Glen Schofield, Dead Space Executive Producer 
- Necromorphs have similiarities to the creatures called "Xenomorphs" in the movie "Aliens" in that they will travel by vent or other areas that they climb from for the element of suprise in addition to the similar names.
- Necromorphs are most similar to the creatures from the movie "The Thing" because like the Necromorphs, the creature in the movie could infect and than take over the host using parts of the host's previous form. In one scene of the movie, one of the characters head's fall off and the result is something that looks almost identical to a Divider spawn head.
- The term "Necromorph" is a neologism comprised of the root words "necro" (from the greek word 'νεκρός ~ nekros') meaning "dead" and "morph" (from the greek 'μορφή ~ morfee') meaning "form" or "shape"; thus "Necromorph" can be translated into the synonymical morphologically parsed term "Dead-Form", an apt name for the creatures given their nature.
- According to the design team, the key idea of the Necromorphs is that they are made up entirely of human body parts: scythe arms were once the bones of the human host, tentacles are made up of a host's intestines, etc. All of their parts are made up of re-purposed parts of the previous host. The team studied medical, autopsy, and accident photos in order to recreate the effect of a ravaged human body, to give a sense of realism as to how the human bodies in the games have been twisted into monsters. 
- The Necromorphs seem to be less inclined to attack those under the influence of the Markers, as shown in the comics. Natalia Deshyanov was not attacked by the Necromorphs as she was making her way to the rover bay, only observed.
- The name "Necromorph" was first coined by Dr. Kyne, according to this log.
- As evidenced in Dead Space 2's multiplayer, Necromorphs can see neuron strands in the human body. It is possible to speculate that Necromorphs can sense electric impulses.
- Every known Necromorph form has been shown to be dismember-able in some way, excluding the Creeper from Dead Space: Martyr and the Wheezer from Dead Space.
- If a Necromorph places Isaac Clarke or Gabe Weller in a quick-time event with other Necromorphs around, the other Necromorphs will just wait patiently to attack while Isaac or Gabe fight off the holding Necromorph.
Known Necromorph forms编辑